Friday, October 28, 2011

One door opens, another shuts behind...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lK5lzyd37A

My mantra for the day: this song.

Over the past couple of years, I've been working on making scarves, arm warmers, and other accessories from upcycled felted cashmere sweaters, as well as getting into canning and making jams after being taught the basics by my neighbor across the street. I gave away much of what I made last year as Christmas presents and it helped my meager gift budget go a long way. People also loved getting homemade goodies, and I got a lot of positive strokes for my work (which is not often the case in performing arts, as we well know....). Too, it was a creative outlet for me in a way that singing hasn't been for a long time: I could make whatever I wanted (fig jam with port? blackberry jam with chocolate? WHY NOT?), without being told what to do or how to do it.

As it turns out, that same neighbor called last night and asked if I wanted to go with her to bring a bunch of our jams and jellies to a market in North Beach...they don't care that we don't have a license, or a commercial kitchen; they just know that we make homemade jams, and that's what they want.

A couple of months ago, a friend talked me into bringing some jams, as well as some of my work in felted cashmere, up to her place in Petaluma for a trunk show. She invited a bunch of people she knew...and only five people showed up.

BUT.

All five of them (plus my friend) bought cashmere AND jam....I walked out of there with $350.

.....and a renewed sense of what was possible.

I don't know whether this is going to turn into anything major for me, but I DO know that this is a potential income stream...right when I'm looking for ways to get out of having to sing full-time.

Maybe the universe really is looking out for me, after all....
RM

PS....thank you, Richard Thompson. I love this song.

1 comment:

Pam said...

That is SO awesome!!!!!!! I am really excited for you! w00t!