Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Had my first lesson in nine weeks yesterday. It was rather odd. I had better breath control than before (which surprised the hell out of me--I hadn't expected that!) but my voice seemed reedy, thick, inflexible. It was interesting, from a purely scientific position, to observe how nine weeks had affected me. I was able to remember quite a bit but it will be a while before my voice is where it was before the break. Still, I was relieved that I remembered as much as I did. (I swear, I figured I'd have to reinvent the wheel. That can happen if one gets off track vocally.)
I should qualify--it has nothing to do with my teacher: I've been quite lazy; I've only sung at church, so haven't stretched my cords out the whole time. Still, it was gratifying to know the technique my teacher had given me held up through the lean time.
It was odd because my teacher had had a health scare during the break and so we were both kind of feeling our way tentatively through the lesson. Still, mainly thanks to him, it went well, I think. 
It will be interesting to see what happens the next couple of months--stay tuned...

No comments: