Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas 2010: Two Short Stories About My Family

I.) My brother-in-law wanted to be sure to give me something meaningful, something useful as well as thoughtful, and so his gift to me was....a free-standing toilet paper holder.
He even included a free roll of paper, with the end folded over into the little triangle and sealed with a sticker like they do in hotels.
Honest.

II.) As I was preparing to leave, my father turned to the Christmas tree and pulled off a handful of candy canes, handing them to my brother, my brother-in-law, and I. When we collectively did the RCA dog (head tilted to the side with a quizzical expression), he explained thus:
"Your grandmother-my mother-would always have candy canes on her Christmas trees, and no guest was allowed to leave without taking one with them, as a little token of their holiday visit."

I was incredibly touched--dad had never told us this story before, not being one to talk about his past, and it was a very sweet and sentimental bit of family history....
....until it occurred to me that grandma Helene was Jewish.


RM

No comments: